This is the second person in our family to get brain cancer. My twin brother was diagnosed with a Grade 2 brain tumor two years ago. And yes, my younger brother and I plan on speaking with the neurosurgeon this week to see if we need genetic testing or an MRI, because this much brain cancer is straight-up weird.
Almost the whole family spent today together. My twin brother and future sister-in-law showed up at the house Saturday night. My aunt and I showed up late Sunday night. Beau just arrived at the airport an hour ago, but he'll be with us first thing tomorrow morning, to avoid waking anyone up.
My mom was scheduled to have surgery tomorrow in our local hospital, but because her neurosurgeons (the same ones who operated on my twin brother in 2012) are out-of-network, her insurance won't cover the procedure. The neurosurgeons have already offered to waive their fees and do the surgery for free. Regardless, the insurance won't cover the surgery, even though the hospital is in-network.
She has to have the surgery this week. Postponing the surgery a day or two is okay, but this is a fast-growth, malignant tumor that did not show up on her MRI six months ago. She will need radiation and chemo afterward. The sooner she can have this removed, the better.
We are trying to figure out an acceptable combination of neurosurgeons and hospitals that will be covered by insurance and will have the experience and technology necessary for a successful surgery. We are all extremely upset that she can't have her neurosurgeons, in our local hospital, perform the surgery.
Please pray for my mom and my family. Please pray that the insurance gets worked out. Please pray that everything will be okay.